Board Meeting Minutes
Board Members in Attendance:
Kevin Nelson (Interim President), Andrea Jones (1st VP), Doug Hyrne (2nd VP), Drew Dahlke (Football Director), Christina McCoy (Cheer Director), Shannon Walton (Assistant Cheer Director), Beth Gilpin (Treasurer), and Nicole Mertes (Secretary)
Members in Attendance:
Tony Mackzum (k/1 Football), Jared Lindsay (5th grade Football), Nikki Forster (5th grade Football), Angie Harden (5th grade Football), and Heather Rich (2nd grade Cheer)
Motions to Accept Previous Meeting Minutes:
1st- Christina McCoy
2nd- Shannon Walton
- Renewed focus this year on professionalism and the kids in the program. This includes:
- Being good stewards of finances/budgets
- Communication- LYF has switched from Blue Sombrero to Team Snap for registration. Added benefits of more functional LYF-wide communications.
- New e-mails have been established for LYF Board members. This will allow continuity when new Board members are elected:
- Kevin Nelson- President: President@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Andrea Jones- 1st VP: 1stVP@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Doug Hyrne- 2nd VP: 2ndVP@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Christina McCoy- Cheer Director: email@example.com
- Drew Dahlke- Football Director: FootballDirector@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Aaron Anderson- Assistant Football Director: AsstFBDirector@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Shannon Walton- Assistant Cheer Director: AsstCheerDirector@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Beth Gilpin- Treasurer: Treasurer@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Nicole Mertes- Secretary: Secretary@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- Jen Cook- Assistant Secretary: AsstSecretary@lovelandyouthfootball.com
- The Board is also now using Microsoft Teams for LYF communications, which allows communications to be grouped together by topic and helps with organization. Our Microsoft software is free to LYF for 10 years.
- Tiger Bowl: proposed pre-season bowl game weekend hosted in Loveland
- Contact has been made with the Loveland Varsity Head Football Coach- Coach Cruse
- Details are still being solidified
- Thought is that grades 4, 5, and 6 would play games on the High School Turf if possible and available on a Saturday and Sunday. Grades k/1, 2, and 3 would play games on the LYF Field on Saturday and Sunday.
Motions to accept President’s Report: 1st- Christina McCoy 2nd- Beth Gilpin
1st Vice President’s Report:
- Moving forward
- Concession updates are being considered. More information on that to follow
- There will be a clean up day….date is to be determined. We will need assistance with that.
- Gate and Concession volunteer spots will now be together on one sign up genius.
- New guidelines for volunteering are being considered
Motions to accept 1st VP report: 1st- Christina McCoy 2nd- Shannon Walton
2nd Vice President’s Report:
- Getting Team Snap registration ready. Registration is planned to start on March 1, 2020
- Kevin Nelson has been working hard to update the LYF website. That should be up and running soon!
- Planning a registration/fundraising event for March 15, 2020 at the Fowling facility. More info to follow.
Motions to accept 2nd VP report: 1st- Beth Gilpin 2nd- Shannon Walton
- Beginning balance =
Ending balance =
- Late 2019/Early 2020 Expenses:
- $95 for field Winterization
- $542.25 Coca-Cola Bill
- $22.33 for Insurance
- $650 for Tiger Ball
- $1,149.00 for Team Snap fees
- 2019 Review
- Income: largest sources of income are from registrations, as well as Gate fees collected, and concession earnings.
- Additional income comes from corporate kickbacks, fundraisers, and interest.
- Expenses: Largest expenses are concession stand supplies, field costs, equipment/uniforms (in 2020, many helmets need to be re-conditioned), referee/clock operator fees, HUDL/Team Snap fees, Administrative fees (insurance, background checks for coaches, GCYFL fees), and charitable contributions (high school scholarships). Minor expenses include supplies for Homecoming, supplies for 6th grade sendoff, and annual awards (championship game winners).
- The LYF Board reviewed the proposed 2020 Budget at a budget meeting in January, and this proposed budget was presented line-by-line.
- Proposed budget projects just under a $6,000 profit in 2020.
- There will be a link LYF members can use to access and view the 2020 Budget
- A motion was made by Shannon Walton to approve the proposed 2020 Budget. The motion was seconded by Doug Hyrne. All members in attendance voted in favor of the proposed budget, no members were opposed. The 2020 Budget was approved.
- There will be new procedures for concession and gate money for the 2020 season. More information will follow.
- LYF will be switching to a new bank for our banking needs, and new accounting software will be purchased in the near future.
Motions to accept Treasurer’s report: 1st- Andrea Jones 2nd- Drew Dahlke
- Next meeting will be Sunday, February 23rd at 7:00 PM. The meeting will be held at Loveland City Hall
- Upcoming work: setting up a meeting with the High School (Athletic Department and Head Varsity Football Coach), determining our field usage fees (practice spaces as well as fees charged for use of High School turf field), and further specifying the city’s responsibilities for the LYF Field.
- LYF Board meeting dates have been set for 2020, and the meeting space at Loveland City Hall has been reserved for all meeting dates
- We are considering a different distribution method for monthly meeting minutes.
- Team/Squad end of season financial reports: Just waiting on two teams to submit their statements.
Motions to accept Secretary’s report: 1st- Christina McCoy 2nd- Shannon Walton
- The cheer camp will again be offered at the High School this summer. The dates for the camp are July 28th-July 31st 2020
- Coaches will attend a session the evening before cheer camp begins: July 27th
- The uniform package pricing has increased slightly to $204 for a full uniform. Purchasing the uniform as a package is cheaper than ordering each piece individually.
- The cheer coach survey will close on January 31, 2020. 45 surveys have been returned.
- The cheer director and assistant cheer director will have meetings with each coach beginning end of February to review the surveys.
- LYF will be purchasing one set of pink pom-poms for all squads to share during the month of October.
- There will be uniform fittings and a cheer uniform consignment sale in May. More information to follow.
Motions to accept Cheerleading report: 1st- Shannon Walton 2nd- Andrea Jones
Football Director’s Report:
- Football surveys: received 28 so far. Hoping to get more responses in coming weeks. After the surveys are gathered, survey feedback will be shared with coaches.
- GCYFL news:
- League officials are re-aligning divisions. These divisions are based on organizations as a whole, and we want to maintain our pod schedule so that all Loveland teams play at the same location on game days as much as possible. Loveland with be in the Silver East division along with Kings, Little Miami Gold, and Milford.
- The league is considering some playoff changes
- There will be some new rule changes, which will be discussed in coach meetings. There is discussion of eliminating player exemptions. There are minor punting changes, and there will be new age limit rules and restrictions for 6th grade…there will be a 150 lb. weight limit to run the ball on offense.
- The league is now requiring teams to pay a deposit. A deposit would be forfeited if Loveland would leave GCYLF after February 1, 2020.
- Coach meetings will start soon
- Loveland must declare teams to GCYFL by June 1, 2020.
- Clarification: teams can be practicing plays any time (including prior to the season). No hitting until the official start of the season though!
- Practices can officially begin on July 13, 2020. The first regular season games will be the weekend of August 15, 2020. Playoffs will occur at the end of October, with championship games on November 1, 2020.
- HUDL- LYF will pay for HUDL for 4th, 5th, and 6th grade football teams. K/1, 2nd, and 3rd grade teams could have parents record games and share with the coaches/team.
Motions to accept Football Director’s report: 1st- Drea Jones 2nd- Beth Gilpin
- Facilities: concrete and good amount of framing are done on the new press box. Tarps are covering the work done so far, and the work will continue in the Spring.
- Fundraising: there will be a fundraiser that pairs with a registration opportunity at the Fowling facility on March 15, 2020. We will have use of the facility for 5 hours. Still working on details.
- We will continue fundraising opportunities at local restaurants and host another parents night out. We will explore a fundraising opportunity with Mike’s Car Wash, as well as the possibility of selling programs.
- Doug also working out details for sponsorship opportunities.
- The nomination process for the LYF President position closed at the end of the November 24th Kevin Nelson had been nominated for the role, and he had accepted the nomination. A vote was held with Board members and members in good standing that were present. Kevin Nelson was officially elected as LYF President for the remainder of the Presidential term.
- Scholarship committee will be established at the February meeting
- Nicole Mertes will chair this committee and will need at least 3 LYF members to volunteer to review scholarship applicants/select recipients. Christina McCoy has volunteered, so we will be looking for at least two more volunteers in February. Scholarship applications will need to be reviewed between February 28th and the end of March, 2020.
- A link will be sent to LYF members for a proposed parent code of conduct. Members should review this proposed document, and come to the February meeting prepared to vote for/against this proposed document. If approved, the completion of a parent code of conduct form will become part of the registration process. (See tab in ByLaws section of website)
- A reminder that members do not need to be members in good standing (member in good standing = 4 meetings attended out of the last 12 meetings held) to volunteer for committees!
- Tiger Bowl committee: please e-mail Kevin Nelson if interested
- Disciplinary committee: This is the only committee that does require a member to be in good standing to participate. We need two more individuals to volunteer for this committee. If interested, please let a Board member know.
- Scholarship committee: Looking for at least 2 more volunteers.
- Angie Harden has gathered information from Red Line regarding speed/agility training options. There is also a fundraising opportunity LYF could pursue with Red Line.
- A discussion occurred regarding concerns about registration….particularly at the K/1 level and how we might increase registration numbers.
Motions to Adjourn:
1st- Christina McCoy
2nd- Beth Gilpin